So why am I doing this blog?I am no biology student or any active academic scholar of biological or evolutionary sciences. But I am still discovering so many facets of human life, and all life on earth. I share as I learn with the hope that someday we all could have a better sense of life on earth.
How long have I been blogging here?Well, pretty long enough. In fact the very first post of this blog says that I have kind of revived this blog. So I suppose you have to take it back to probably 1 or 1.5 years before 2005. Even I can't remember exactly when I started. However, I began taking an active interest into human evolution way back in my school days - 11th or 12th std.
For how long do I plan to keep writing/blogging?I am actively looking at other ways to reach out. Blogging is just one way, but not the ideal way. The best mode of sharing what I discover is through conferences, conventions, group gatherings, or, interviews where I can get to interact with people real-time. So I'll blog or do whatever I have to as long as I want to.
Why don't I just write a book or something?It simply doesn't seem like a monetarily sound idea. Yes I'd want income out of selling copies, but with all the piracy going on I rather not do it. However I would love to write. I do not view this piracy as an evil thing; to some degree the society does benefit from it.
So, if its not writing books, blogging is the next best thing.
So what stuff do I share around here?Primarily my thoughts on life on earth in general. Most of the time its about our species. Honestly (and in good probability) there is no other species "our species" can relate to (living or extinct). The questions I am fascinated with are simple but hard to scientifically or evolutionarily explain:
- What is love? Why is it our species show an abundance of exhibiting this phenomenon? Why do we do the things we do when we are actually in love?
- Religion? Why is it so common?
- Why would a crawling infant, who has never seen a snake be afraid when he/she actually saw one?
How to find stuff thats already here?
Most of the posts are tagged with keywords. They will help you locate posts out here. If you are looking for a particular article I would have linked to in one or more of my posts keep a tab on my delicious link rolls.
Any interesting article I read which is related to the interest I share our here I tag it with the word evolution...so my delicious links can be accessed as follows:
For new readers: how to read this blogExpecting people who land here to read everything I've ever written is farce. In fact you don't have to read everything. Here are some posts which I think you might find interesting...
The better way to get you up-to-speed with this blog is to have some sort of an interactive session - a conference, meet up, gathering, etc. If you feel interested in the blog after reading the above posts I have linked to, then I think its safe to meet up. :)
Okay, now I do have a question...how do I ask?If you are still reading all this I gotta give you credit. But I am not the expert at finding answers to all kinds of questions. Its not about finding an answer; its about sharing what you learn in a diplomatic way. So having said all that I'd advise you to follow these steps:
- Google. Because you may be surprised with whats out there...
- Try searching or joining discussion groups which would relate to your topic. I used to regularly discuss at http://www.biology-online.org/biology-forum/
- Post your question on Quora. Someone out there will definitely answer. But be polite and clear with what you are trying to ask.
- If none of the above work, ask me. Quora has a feature by which you can ask other people to answer a question - use it...if you feel your question needs a much less publicity then email me at:
ask [dot] deostroll [at] gmail [dot] com